Of course we all woke up extra early with excitement so we just left. I loaded the van, kids, dogs and we were off! I made the kids wait 'til we hit Topeka before they could watch a movie - mean mom I know. The whole time they were whinning and I couldn't figure it out. We didn't have movies in the car when we were little and we still had fun on trips - Oh, yeah... We were NOT strapped into uncomfortable car seats. Our seats were usually used as tables instead of actually spots for our behinds. I was glad I made them wait because once we get passed Manhattan the radio stations are pretty 'lame' and I would rather listen to Hannah Montanna or Toy Story anyways. :)
The kids always get so excited once we hit the wind propler things (I so want to call them 'windmills'). Kailee got her camera out and took these as we were driving by them:
Oh, and for those that know me, know that I have this weird obsession with taking pictures of the sign for the city (or state) that we are in. I really didn't want to stop (it was so cold) by myself with the kids and with the dogs in the car. So, Kailee took this one as I tried to drive real S-L-O-W (putting the pressure on an 8 year old - HA HA HA):
Yep! We are almost there! Here we come, Lincoln, KANSAS! Oh, please tell me you have heard of it? Here are a few facts:
Conveniently located at the intersection of Highways K-14 and K-18 is the City of Lincoln, originally named Lincoln Center and known as the post rock capital of Kansas.
The population is 1200 (which is really hard for me to believe!!) That must include all the surrounding farms and way out there in the middle of nowhere people too!
There is a Grocery Store (called the Lincoln Grocery Store). A very small simple store to get the things you 'Need'. There is also a Duckwalls!!!! A highlight of everyone's trip is always Duckwalls! I remember as a kid, we were always handed a few dollars and sent out the door. We would walk to Duckwalls and totally explore!(such a rhymer I know). There is also a little clothing store (I will touch on that later), a little movie theater, and on the outside of town there is a Pizza Hut! Still can't belive it - but it is true. They have a Pizza Hut.
Kailee actually took this as we drove by - Whoa! Looks like they are busy! :)
They do have a beautiful Courthouse! I love it:
Beautiful, hun?
I could go on and on - you will just have to plan a trip and explore all the fun things of Lincoln! (Call me first, I know some pretty good people that make great tour guides!)
All of this and we still haven't reached our destination! We did finally arrive after our 4 hour drive (had to stop a few times with the kids and dogs). Made it just in time for lunch! Why does everything always taste better at Grandma's? Yummy turkey and veggies were waiting for us! So good! Grammi had plans to attend a funeral that afternoon as we had plans to head to Farmer Marys!!!! I will add all that next...
wind turbines. :)
ReplyDeleteand yes, i've heard of lincoln. :)